Ultrasound is a type of scanning technique that uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images of structures inside the body. It is also known as sonography or medical sonography.
When it’s done:
Ultrasound is recommended depending on the symptoms and for:
- The assessment of a breast lump
- The assessment of the foetus inside the uterus during pregnancy
- The evaluation of the thyroid gland
- The diagnosis of cancer
- The diagnosis of infections
- The diagnosis of a gallbladder disease
- Assessing abnormalities of muscles and tendons.